Hi! My name is Jen and welcome to my group exercise website. I am a dance fitness instructor on central Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada – my home base is a farm in Errington, B.C. I have certified in and taught U-Jam Fitness, MixxedFit, Zumba, and Zumba Gold in the past, and also a general dance fitness format called Dance Party (that I now teach exclusively, and call, Cardio Dance Club).
Why I teach dance fitness
I fell in love with dance fitness back in 2007. I had a bit of a health upset, and needed to resolve a few health issues. The first thing I did was buy an elliptical, and change my eating habits. After awhile, I decided to take the “scariest” class I could find, which was a cardio dance class. I ended up taking Rhythm and Motion in San Francisco, and immediately loved the format. Over the years I tried all of the other dance formats I ran into, including Zumba (of course), Dancation, NIA, Jazzercise, Groov3, U-Jam Fitness, and more — between taking classes in these formats, and others (strength, spin, etc) and improving my eating habits managed to resolve these issues. I found U-Jam Fitness in mid-2014, and immediately had a new community to call home. The U-Jam Fitness family pulled me in, and I ended up an instructor in 2015.
I certified in other formats, such as MixxedFit and Zumba Fitness, but now have a lot of fun teaching a general cardio dance fitness class I call Cardio Dance Club (learn more) where I have combined what I have learnt and love most from various formats and classes.
My professional background is in art, technology, and software. After leaving high-tech corporate software, I ran a couple small businesses in the past that involved technology (FoundPixel), and manufacturing products for an e-commerce business I started. Before that, I worked in the San Francisco Bay Area as a technical writer, quality engineer, and developer community manager at software corporations including Adobe Systems Inc. and Motorola Mobility (acquired by Google). I chose to return home to Canada in early 2017.
The confusing and conflicting nature of health and wellness drew me into a new line of study over the years. Today I am developing a permaculture-style farm in Errington, B.C. and running a plant-based nutrition and recipe website called Plant Based Recipe. I also completed the Developing Healthy Communities graduate-level certification from Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy focusing in Nutrition and Physical Activity studies. I also attended Dr. John McDougall’s Advanced Study sessions on plant-based nutrition in February 2017.
Certifications & Licenses (past and current)
- Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy Graduate Studies: Developing Healthy Communities – Nutrition and Physical Activity (site)
- U-Jam Fitness (site)
- Zumba Fitness (site)
- Zumba Fitness Gold (site)
- MixxedFit (site)
- CPR-AED and Fitness First Aid Canadian Red Cross Level C (current through Sept. 2020)
- SOCAN Licensed #0092252517-00-03 (most current classes licensed under the organizations running the class (RDN, etc), or facility.)
Jen currently teaches Cardio Dance Club at the following locations:
- RDN Recreation (Qualicum Beach, B.C.)
- Arrowsmith Community Recreation Association (Errington, B.C.)
- Oliver Woods Community Centre (City of Nanaimo) (Nanaimo, B.C.)
Jen has also taught U-Jam Fitness, MixxedFit, Cardio Dance Club (also under the name “Dance Party”) at:
- Casa Loca Fitness (Nanaimo, B.C.)
- Kickstart Fitness (Parksville, B.C.)
- 24 Hour Fitness (multiple classes and locations, California)
- Santa Clara Community Recreation Center (California)
- Total Woman Gym + Spa (multiple classes and locations, California)
- Golds Gym (California)
- BMI Fitness (California)
- Palo Alto Children’s Library (California)
- And various corporate locations in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Sign up for class updates
Get updates about new classes, events, substitute instructors, healthy recipes, and more!
For information about times, locations and how to register for current classes, see this page.
- RDN Recreation
- Arrowsmith Community Recreation Association
- Casa Loca Fitness(membership/class pass/drop-in offered)
- Oliver Woods Community Centre (City of Nanaimo)
- 24 Hour Fitness(membership/drop-in offered, call location recommended)
- Total Woman – San Jose (membership/drop-in offered)
- Santa Clara Community Rec Center (Drop in $5.50)
- BMI Fitness (drop-in offered)
- Golds Gym ($5 drop-in offered)
- Palo Alto Children’s Library (Kids grades K-8, June-July 2016)